Friday, August 07, 2015

weekend reading

We're here in Alice Springs! And wow the desert has already woven its magic around us. I am being amazed by the miracle that anything at all grows here! So much red dirt and sun. I can't even imagine what the heat would be like here in summer. Alice is so rich with arts, culture, community and at this time of year, the perfect amount of sunshine.

Today River and Sol and I spent the day at the Olive Pink Botanic Gardens where the annual desertSMART ecofair began today and runs all weekend.

Pete and I are very much looking forward to hearing Rosalie Kunoth-Monks speak on Sunday at the National Pioneer Women's Hall of Fame

River is doing an assignment on megafauna this term ("They're big animals mum," Sol tells me),  so I think a trip to the Alice Springs Desert Park will happen soon

We joined the Alice Springs library today - I love public libraries - and there is so much on offer there including A Young Writer's Group for children and young people aged 7 - 15 which will be perfect for River

And for my little emerging artist Sol we'll be heading to the Araluen Cultural Precinct to soak up the colours and stories of the paintings

On the food front I'm looking forward to visiting Kungkas Can Cook

The photo above was taken at the Coober Pedy Bakery where despite its basic shopfront and modest decor you'll find surprisingly good coffee and er, top notch French pastries! Coober Pedy is known for opal mines not cuisine so I wasn't expecting this find.

I'm looking forward to sharing our Alice Springs adventure with you. Happy weekend everyone xo

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having a ball exploring the treasures of Alice. Kungkas Can Cook is such a fantastic business and they make great food too. They catered for our wedding weekend a long time ago 150kms west of Alice Springs, in a dry river bed with a view of Mt Sonder! And I have always thought of Cooper Pedy as an undiscovered foodie destination, due to the ethnic origins of many of the opal miners - we used to stock up on flaky Greek biscuits and sweets whenever we passed through! I also have pictures of me there on my first birthday, where in a very authentic pizzeria they made me a pizza in the shape of a Number 1! See if you can get someone to show you the track to the top of Undoolya Hill (east of town) for sunset drinks, it's another local favourite spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a special part of the world and I hope to return there one day soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...