Thursday, January 16, 2014

thursday recipe: mango sorbet by Emily Rose Brott


I'm typing quickly because the keys on my computer may melt. It is 41 degrees celsius here in Victoria today!! Never a better time for a beautiful mango sorbet recipe. My plan this year is to post a recipe for you every Thursday. 

Today's recipe comes from Melbourne mother of four and cookbook author Emily Rose Brott. 
Emily's first cookbook Have Your Cake came about because she began experimenting with baking healthier, wholefood versions of her kids (aged 6-14) favorite treats. Chocolate chip biscuits were the first test recipe made with real dark chocolate and no trans fats or artificial additives, just real food. The biscuits were a hit with the kids and all their friends, soon mums were asking Emily for recipes and her book was born.

In her recently released second book Healthy Home Cooking for Kids Emily shares delicious lunches and dinners in addition to sweet favorites such as this summer sensation: mango sorbet. The recipes in Emily's books are made without refined sugar, white flour, or butter due to Emily and her son being lactose intolerant. 

I had a chat with Emily last week and asked her how she handles any requests from her kids to eat processed foods. Emily explained that she involves her children in cooking at home and talks to them about the difference between real food ingredients and what additives, preservatives, colourings etc; can do to their bodies and behaviour. So, when her daughter came home from school and asked if she could have a particular lunch box snack that her friend had Emily and her daughter took a look at the ingredients next time they were at the supermarket. "I read the label and it had so many additives in it I physically couldn't put it in the trolley", Emily told me. Her daughter said, "It's ok mum, I understand why you can't let us eat that sort of food". Pretty cool huh? 

I know some of you may be reading this thinking that would never happen with my kids, they would still want it! But I am a huge believer in educating our children from a young age about the ingredients in the food they eat as Emily is doing with her children I believe it does make a difference in the long run because they grow up with an awareness which is a great beginning for a real food future.

So, thanks Emily for the inspiration for all us mums who are doing our best to feed our families well in the face of so much fake food. Thanks for sharing your recipe and for taking the time to put your book together.

Tune in next week and I will post Emily's recipe for crumbed chicken and salsa in pita.


Mango Sorbet

1.5 mangoes
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon boiling water
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 egg whites

Remove the skin and seed from the mangoes and blend until smooth (if using frozen mangoes, allow to thaw). Dissolve the honey in the boiling water and mix into the mangoes. Add orange juice
and mix.
In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
Gently fold egg whites into mango mixture until combined.

Place the mango sorbet in an airtight container and freeze. Prepare the day before serving, to allow the sorbet to freeze.

Serves 4

4 comments:

  1. Looks good. Personally I don't like mango however I was given a couple today in fact from my friend who has a mango tree. The kids want to try it. The mango sorbet could be the go as well. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia
    www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com
    www.oureverydaylifeinpictures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't like mango!! I think you are the first person I've heard those words from. And as for having a mango tree that is a dream those of us in Victoria can't fulfil - your lucky friend and lucky you for having such fresh mango to share with your children I hope they like it. Thanks for stopping by Kathy x

      Delete
  2. I've got people coming to watch the mens tennis final tomorrow night - I am definitely making this!! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is actually a fantastic blogs! More of these details are superb -it is nice to see one that current.



    Workshop Taarten Maken & Workshop Chocolade Maken

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...